What is catnip?

Catnip is a plant that is a part of the mint family. It’s down leaves flaunt white flowers with purple spots. What attracts cats to this plant is the smell that it gives off. The potent smell comes from the essential oils within the leaves of the plant.

What does it do to cats?

For cats that are sensitive to catnip, just the smell will send them into a craze. Providing a type of high, catnip is something that in very little doses can change the energy level of any cat, even one of minimal energy and sociability.’

Can a cat have too much catnip?

Because there is a drug like reaction to catnip, many owners wonder if it’s possible for their cat to overdose on catnip. While the term overdose isn’t necessarily the best term to use, it is possible for your cat to have too much. There are certain cats that will be more sensitive than others, and there are some cats that will rip open their catnip toys and consume it, in these instances your cat may get sick, but they won’t overdose. In most instances, cats will know when they’ve had too much catnip and will further refuse any that offers made.

If your cat isn’t reacting well to catnip they have sniffed or consumed, stop in to Countryside Animal Hospital and we can help provide you with answers.

Infographic about catnip